Donate a Car

Have an unwanted car you would like to donate to support the Garden? The process is easy! Our partner, CARS, handles the pick-up and sale of your vehicle, plus all the associated paperwork. You receive a tax deduction for your donation, and the Garden receives a check for 80 percent of the net sale proceeds.

For more information and to schedule a pick-up that's convenient for you, call 855-500-RIDE (7433) or click here to complete our online donation form.


Frequently Asked Questions

What can I donate?

We accept most cars, trucks, trailers, boats, RV's, motorcycles, off road vehicles, heavy equipment and most other motorized vehicles. If you have any questions about what you can donate, please call 855-500-RIDE (7433) seven days a week.

Is my donation tax deductible?

Yes! Individual tax situations vary so please check with a tax professional to determine how you may benefit.

How much will my tax write-off be?

The amount that is tax deductible is the sale price of the vehicle. For more information on tax write-offs, we suggest you review IRS Publication 526 which sets forth the manner in which the IRS requires you to determine the value of your donated property.

Will I get a tax receipt for my donation?

Yes, the tow truck driver will issue a receipt at the time of pick-up. This is not your final tax receipt unless the sale of your vehicle does not exceed $500. This initial acknowledgement will indicate your name as well as the year, make, model and condition of the car you are donating. It will be your only receipt if your vehicle sells for less than $500. An IRS Form 1098-C, Contributions of Motor Vehicles, Boats, and Airplanes will be mailed to you within 30 days of the sale stating the amount of gross proceeds received from your car, provided your vehicle sold for more than $500. This will be your tax receipt for your charitable contribution.

What do I need to donate my vehicle?

You will need the title to the vehicle, but if you do not have it, please call anyway. It is possible that other arrangements may be made. Please call 855-500-RIDE (7433) seven days a week for more information.

Do I need a smog certificate in order to donate my car?

For states that require smog certificates or safety inspections, you may donate your vehicle without these documents.

My car hasn't run in years. Can I still donate it?

Yes. We are able to accept most vehicles running or not. Exceptions include older vehicles whose value would not offset the cost of towing. Most vehicles need to be intact and in towable condition. To find out if we can accept your vehicle, please call 855-500-RIDE (7433) seven days a week.

How will the car be picked up?

Your vehicle will be towed away at a scheduled time convenient for you. The vehicle will be picked up by a licensed tow company at no cost to you and will be taken to a sale location.

Can you pick up vehicles in all 50 states?

CARS is able to pick up most vehicles in the continental United States.