Things to Know
- The Garden Pantry in the Garden Shop offers a variety of cold drinks and snacks
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station is available in the parking lot
- MTD bus 22 runs by request from the Mission and SB Museum of Natural History on weekends
- No wheelchairs or strollers are available for rent
- Dogs are allowed on leash. Trails 'n' Tails event for visitors with dogs is held in August
- We have a Lost and Found, please call (805) 682-4726 ext 112
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all areas of the Garden (including the parking lot)
- Please stay on the designated pathways and trails
- Deposit trash and recycle in designated receptacles
- Do not pick flowers or climb trees
- Picnic only in the designated picnic area
- Shirts and shoes are required at all times
- No alcohol please
- Recreational sports (including skating, ball playing, cycling, etc.) are not permitted - bicycle racks are located in the parking lot
For Your Safety
The Garden is a place of natural beauty. In addition to our stunning native plants, the Garden’s canyon and creek is a wildlife corridor. Please remember to:
- Watch your step – paths can be uneven
- Bring water on your walk
- Wear a hat and sunscreen
- Dress in sturdy shoes with a tread
- Leave wildlife undisturbed
- Be aware - Leaves of Three ~ Let It Be! (Poison Oak!)
- Use caution on boulder crossings of creek
The Garden is open rain or shine, although Red Flag Warning days may trigger mandatory closure to SBBG visitors and staff. Current weather conditions at SBBG are available via the official SBBG Online Weather Station located in Mission Canyon.
The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden welcomes artists and photographers to capture our natural beauty. There are limitations on equipment that amateur photographers may bring into the Garden. Please review the Photographer/Artist Guidelines prior to your entry. Professional photographers may arrange commercial access to the Garden by contacting the Communications Manager or call (805) 682-4726 ext. 132
Private Events at the Garden
The Garden is currently not available as a venue for private receptions, weddings, and other events. For possible locations for your upcoming event, we recommend contacting the Santa Barbara Conference and Visitors Bureau.
Thank you for your cooperation and understanding, enjoy your visit!
Introducing the Garden Pantry!
Miss the vending machines? Not to worry. The Garden shop has recently opened the new Garden Pantry! This section of the Garden Shop is filled with a variety of snacks and drinks plus new, healthier fare to provide plenty of energy and hydration while you walk the Garden trails. The Garden Pantry also includes a fine selection of local edible gifts sure to please any foodies. Come and check it out!
Meadow Revival Project
The Santa Barbara Botanic Garden is excited to bring back the glory of its historic Meadow landscape display, preserving the core of this amazing historic landmark garden.
This Meadow Revival Project will be multi-faceted and time intensive, with final completion scheduled by 2015.
- Spring 2013 - Winter 2014
- Restoration of Meadow border
- Complete Renovation of Meadow interior
- Removal of invasive 'weedy' species
- Restoration of preferred native species in the seed bank
- Revitalized planting of the Meadow
The Garden's ShinKanAn Teahouse and Garden:
The Teahouse is open every second Saturday of the month from Noon-2:00pm. Visitors and members are welcome to experience our ShinKanAn Teahouse and Garden. Trained Teahouse volunteers will be available to share their skills and answer questions about the rich traditions of the Japanese tea ceremony.
Spring Membership Drive: April, 2014
Purchase a new membership (or renew your current membership) before April 30 and automatically be entered to win 1 of 5 wine & cheese picnic backpacks along with two complimentary tickets to a Wine & Cheese Botanic Lecture at the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden. Prize retail value $100 each. Winners will be selected and notified on May 12.
Annual Members Picnic: April 23 & 24
This year the Garden will be hosting the Members Picnic on two consecutive evenings:
Wednesday, April 23 is SOLD OUT
Sign up for Thursday, April 24
Campaign Tours by Golf Cart—Reserve Your Spot Today!
The Garden's Seed the Future comprehensive campaign is raising much-needed funds to help the Garden protect and preserve California’s native plants. If you are interested in learning more about the Garden’s comprehensive campaign, we’d be happy to take you on a private golf cart tour.
- Tours are offered for up to three guests at a time
- 9:00am -or- 2:00pm, Tuesday through Friday, or by special appointment
- Reserve your spot now: email the Registrar, or call (805) 682-4726 ext. 102