Share/Save

Recent News

Bugs Eating Plants

September 15, 2014

“The most compelling case for growing native plants is to provide essential habitat for native herbivorous insects. Here’s why: All animals, even carnivores, ultimately rely on nutrition derived from plants. Herbivorous insects – 37% of animal species worldwide – are critical to converting the energy produced by plants into food for other insects, birds, lizards, fish and animals. Of all native herbivorous insect species, 90% are specialists on a narrow range of regionally native plants, leaving only 10% able to eat non-native plants.”

 Fall 2014  Ironwood 

 

Read more

Red Flag Warning Issued

Red Flag Alert-Saturday August 30

August 30, 2014

The National Weather Service in Los Angeles/Oxnard has issued a Red Flag Warning for gusty Sundowner winds and low relative humidity, which is in effect from 3 pm this afternoon to 3 am PDT Sunday. The Garden will close at 2:30PM today due to the Red Flag Conditions. We expect to reopen at 10:00 Sunday morning after the Red Flag Alert expires.

Read more

image of woman dancing in the wildflower meadow at SBBG (Gina Benesh) ~ SBBG 'Happy in the Garden' video clip

Happy in the Garden!

May 31, 2014

The Garden gets "Happy" with it's video version of the Pharrell Williams hit.
Happiness is a room without a roof ~ Come celebrate California native plants in the Garden with us!

Read more

image of California native plant home garden featuring hummingbird sage(Salvia spathacea) ~ photo by Lawrence Wallin, courtesy SBBGPhotos.org

Drought Tolerant -AND- Beautiful

May 23, 2014

Changing attitudes and behaviors about California natives and long-term drought starts with each of us.

Read more

Wine in the Garden

Fall Wine Raffle

May 20, 2014

Got Wine? Share a bottle (or 2) with the Garden! The Garden will raffle cases of wine donated by supporters, like you - and we’re collecting bottles now.

Read more

Pages